Monday, May 24, 2010

Pooper scooper...and so much more

As I scooped poop with my hands swathed in Safeway bags (the pooper scooper having gone missing, perhaps used as handy weapon by a kid) I had to take a serious look at my life.

In the past month I have cleaned up vomit at 2am, after a particularly big night at Barney’s and Tutti Frutti Yogurt. I have surreptitiously whisked dried mucus from my child’s nose seconds before a photo is snapped. With my bare hands. I have sniffed my children’s hands multiple times to ensure they smell of soap and not of the trip they just made to the bathroom. I have allowed Madelena to spit chewed gum, soggy crackers, grape seeds and a particularly foul bite of seasoned chicken into my palm. I have wiped bottoms, cleaned out ears, inspected nostrils, flossed teeth, scrubbed skid marks and nuzzled upset children who smell more like pickles than Johnson & Johnson. I have done it all without thinking, without horror and without regard to my personal safety or likelihood for PTSD.

It’s what we do as mothers each and every day, though there are some at Madelena’s preschool who relegate those jobs to someone who is better suited to it (read “Paid to do this sh*t) while they dash off to the gym to meet their personal trainer before their ladies’ lunch. But in my circle of hard-working mothers, most of whom are work full-time and then come home to do the even harder job of raising clean, non-sociopathic, functioning human beings — well, it’s all in a day’s work.

So today, on this rainy Monday, take 15 minutes to do something other than Purell yourself after yet another Incident. Lock yourself in your bedroom and put on your iPod to block out the knocks and screams, and enjoy a cup of coffee or a glass of wine while you’re at it. Call a friend you haven’t talked to in months because he or she shares your hectic lifestyle, or call one of those people who is constantly posting vacation/bar/ski trip/wine country/late night photos on Facebook but still pausing long enough to “like” your photo of your six-year old in his Superman cape.  Watch a snippet from Jerseylicious just to make yourself feel superior. Take a cat nap. Go to your underwear drawer and toss out the crap, then buy some good stuff online with a few clicks…knowing that it may not fit and will have to be returned, but at least you have the dignity of finding that out in the comfort of your own home versus in a heinously lit dressing room.  Whatever it takes to remember that while you’re scooping poop or cleaning up vomit or hugging a kid regardless of his or her personal odor, you’re still you…someone who is smart, funny, loving and deserving of a little personal time each and every day. And who may, thanks to free 2-day delivery, soon be enjoying that time in some hot new underwear. 

Happy Monday.

No comments:

Site Visits