Thursday, March 1, 2007

Not that there's anything wrong with that

My husband is a guy's guy. A man's man. Someone capable of completely ignoring the existence of adverbs and carelessly dropping the "g" in "ing" words when in the company of other manly men. He only reads the sports page in morning, likes Bud Light and Coor's long necks in the evening and is not a fan of salads, greens or hard-to-pronounce foods or cheese. He eschews blazers, button-downs and anything that could have at one time been seen in Esquire or GQ or was worn by Clinton on What Not To Wear. In short, give him a baseball cap and a Bud and a remote and he's in his own little heaven.

Which is why his secret gayness is so very, very appealing to me. Gay in the most wonderful and non-sexually-oriented way. When his manly men are far away and his only audience is me, he fulfills the role once played by my Gay Team.

I miss my Gay Team. When I worked in the city I always worked for big agencies with a posse of gay men who I could count on for pop cultural literacy, fashion critiques, meaningful conversations about relationships and just general good times. I had one colleague who could look me up and down and say "Unh unh. I don't think so" or "Forget about workin' it. You OWN it, baby" and let me know where I stood on the fashion scale. My team was funny, smart and energetic, and with one exception, great sources for music, books and film reviews. (One of my close gay friends has a broken gay gene, so he is only able to listen to Baroque music, isn't into fashion, doesn't watch television, is a self-proclaimed slob, doesn't drink and can not be bribed, coerced or otherwise shamed into dancing anytime, anywhere.)

When I began working at home, I lost my Gay Team. We still IM and share the best of YouTube and tmz.com gossip, but it's not the same. I'm not sure if Gregg sensed my loss or sensed an opportunity for him to share a side of himself he was unable to show elsewhere, but he stepped in.

When People Magazine arrives, I have to wait for Gregg to come home so we can look through the StyleWatch section together. He can point out which of the four women wearing a particular style are workin' it, ownin' it, or losin' it. He likes to go through the Johnny Boden catalog and tell me what would work for me and why, and why he hates rail thin models and loves my more bootylicious self. When I go to meetings and have an opportunity to wear Real Clothes and Accessories, he's there to help me pick out just the right ensemble and the shoes that will best highlight my legs or skirt or overall look. We watch The Housewives of Orange County with the shades drawn, as he comments on why that outfit on Jo is just WRONG, WRONG I tell you, what was she thinking with that HAIR, and he can even be persuaded to put a Bioré strip on his nose while doing it. It's like having the best of my Gay Team with the added benefit of chest hair and being someone I really like to sleep with and wake up with. And who will, unlike the others, never leave me for another man. Unless that man has tickets to a Kings game. Then all bets are off.

No comments:

Site Visits