Saturday, August 11, 2007

Baby bird is in the nest


Madelena Sofia arrived this morning with her entourage: an attorney, a facilitator (I think that's code for "handler" and the person that negotiates the riders in her performance contract), her foster mother Lisseth and sister Margot. Somehow it seemed unfair that in exchange for this beautiful child and 14 months of raising her to be a confident, spirited and independent being Lisseth received a pound of See's candy, a gold bracelet etched with "Gracias mi madre", some photos and $280 in cash. But what could I give that would equal all that they have given her? There are no gifts, no cash amounts and no words adequate enough to express our gratitude. So it's bordeaux with chocolate sprinkles and 24k gold all around.

Madelena was her usual easy-going self — she gave me her "oh, it's you" look and we were back to where we were 6 weeks ago; best friends who can easily pick up the conversation after weeks or months of silence. She still finds my conversation scintillating, my dancing hilarious and also enjoys long walks in the park, holding hands and sunsets. We enjoyed all of those things today, wandering through Antigua and picking up the necessities as we moved through our day: a panda, hair bows, avocados, orejitas to enjoy with morning coffee, dish soap and the obligatory vanilla espresso shake that negates the need for a nap or even lunch.

Late this afternoon, as Madelena dozed in the front pack while I made my way through La BodegoƱa, several people smiled at her and said (in either language) "Oh, is she sleeping?” No, she's dead. SERIOUSLY, what is up with that question? But since I am all happy and birds HAVE come down to tie ribbons in my hair today as I walked under the jellybean rainbow, I simply smiled and said "yes." As I left the store, I was approached by a woman who said she was there on a mission...or maybe she's there on A Mission...however the Christians may spell it. I braced myself for yet another "god will provide, you're stealing children" speech and prepared to use my sack of unripe avocados as a pummeling device like the oranges in The Grifters as she began to speak.

"Your baby is beautiful — I'm interested in adopting and just want to talk to someone about it and there you were." Well, maybe god DOES provide. And so we had a warm conversation for many blocks, ending with an email exchange and a promise to keep in touch. I realized in those blocks that just like those on A Mission, I too could be an evangelist. But one that doesn't require a cross or Bluesmobile or the hating of any person who doesn't believe what I do. My evangelism is adoption and the families it creates, and I will spread my word throughout the land and hearts of anyone who is open to it, holding up my beautiful children as my testimony. Amen, my friends. Amen.

No comments:

Site Visits